Friday, July 25, 2014

When it's not what you expect, that's OK too.

Today wasn't the day I expected, but it's the day I got, and it ended up being pretty great.

I was supposed to get up to campus and have back to back meetings today.  One with a student and one with a local pastor.

I woke up to a text from the student, a friend of hers had a family emergency and needed to get to the airport, so she had to reschedule.  No big deal, that just opened my morning up for some campus exploration.

Once I got to campus, I headed to Horesbarn Hill, it's where the Agricultural programs at UConn are, and a working farm as well.  It's beautiful.  I was able to take the time I was going to use to prepare for my meeting and really clear my head as I walked around this amazing space.

My legs got a further workout as I went to the top of the hill (No cars allowed)


I'm not ashamed to admit (OK, maybe a little bit ashamed) that yes, I was feeling the walk.  As I got to the top of the hill, I was just taken aback by a) how quiet it was and b) how beautiful it was.  I was able to to use the time given me to really enjoy something that God created.

It's easy to complain when things don't go as planned, but when we take the time that we're afforded to center on God, His creation and our place in it... it's just refreshing to the soul.







I walked off the Hill and made my way to the Student Union and as I was entering the building, my second meeting of the day had to be pushed until next week.  My initial reaction was "Grrrr" ... it's amazing how quickly we can forget the lessons that God teaches us only moments before, isn't it?

My "Grrr" turned into relief shortly afterwards, as I was able to settle into my usual table and crack into both Leviticus and Numbers, two books I am studying presently.  As I was reading, I thought it was pretty cool how to things I had planned got postponed so that I could relish in God's presence in the world He created, and then relish in His presence in the Word that He gave us.

I continued my study as "the regulars" made their way into and out of the room.  I had some conversations with some of them, others just a nod and a smile.  In either case, I'm being acknowledged as someone that belongs, and that's a great step in building this ministry.  God had HIS plans for me for today, I'm glad I took the time to pay attention.

As it turns out, Melissa and the kids had their ideas for getting to campus today as well, and I was able to meet them up at the barns for some ice cream and horseplay.






God IS good.

In His service,

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment